- Today’s main news: Amazon awarded patent for data feed marketplace. SEC subpoenas Riot Blockchain. tZero to meet with SEC to discuss ICOs. EOS raises $2B. Lendingblock raises $10M for crypto lending through ICO. Binance to add USD crypto trading pairs.
- Today’s main analysis: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, and Litecoin. The rise of cryptocurrencies and cyber crime (A MUST-READ).
- Today’s thought-provoking articles: Hey Coinbase! Amazon is after you. 8 reasons Bitcoin fails as a currency. Blockchain, Cryptocurrency can help Facebook get egg off its face. With Circles, everyone can have a basic income. Understanding India’s crypto crackdown.
- Amazon issued patent for data feed marketplace. AT: “The purpose and usefulness of patents is largely speculative, but it’s a decent bit of speculation to note that Amazon could be thinking of using blockchain or crypto technology for something useful. They’re into expanding services and diversifying their offerings to their various audiences. From Mechanical Turks to small business lending, Amazon has always been on the cutting edge.”
- Hey Coinbase, Amazon is coming after you. AT: “More on the data feed marketplace, but this time it’s called a ‘Streaming Data Marketplace’. Sounds intriguing.”
- Coinbase has been quite busy lately. AT: “This is a lot of activity in just four months. It makes me wonder what to expect next.”
- Why Qtum will be the next coin listed on Coinbase.
- SEC subpoenas Riot Blockchain.
- Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, and Litecoin. AT: “An interesting short-term technical analysis.”
- 8 reasons Bitcoin fails as a currency.
- Why the Bitcoin whales sold $100 million in crypto.
- Is the crypto train headed out of the station again?
- GDET lays out path for cryptomining operations.
- BKCM founder bullish on Bitcoin Cash.
- Intangible Labs gets $133 million investment.
- Crypto, blockchain could help Facebook rub the egg off its face. AT: “The Cambridge Analytica data breach is one of the most head scratching events in recent memory. Long term, Facebook could take a big hit–unless it embraces tighter security, and this is where blockchain can help.”
- How to report your crypto taxes.
- Tracking cryptocurrency criminals. AT: “An excellent read.”
- Cryptocurrencies are like Candy Crush tokens.
- NASA funds blockchain-based autonomous spacecraft.
- tZero to meet with SEC to discuss ICOs.
- Hyperledger bug bounty goes public.
- Long live the ICO corpse.
- DarcMatter’s secret to ICO success.
- Former ClearSlide executive joins Quantstamp as VP of strategy.
- ConsenSys Academy’s online Ethereum developer program returns.
- The rise of crypto and cyber crime. AT: “This is an incredible read. Very technical, but a lot of graphics. Extremely useful for CTOs.”
- CloakCoin jumps 35 percent after Binance confirms trading.
- Is the DAO over?
- Basis raises $133 million. AT: “Nice raise. Congratulations.”
- EOS ICO raises over $2 billion.
- Circles is plotting to get everyone a basic income.
- New Ethereum technology calls for higher security.
- SaveDroid raises $50 million through ICO and skedaddles.
- Binance to add USD trading pairs.
- How Binance’s $30 million coin burn affects its coin.
- Huawei unveils Hyperledger-powered BaaS platform.
- Chinese police bust alleged crypto pyramid scheme.
- United Kingdom: Lendingblock raises $10 million for crypto lending.
- India: Understanding the crypto crackdown.
- India: CoinRecoil director sees positive outcome to regulation.
- Japan: Police arrest 12 men for allegedly buying Bitcoin with fake fiat money.
- Canada: Bitcoin is not a magnet for illicit transactions.
- Africa: Twiga Foods to use blockchain for microlending.
- United States
- Amazon wins patent for data feed marketplace that could include bitcoin transactions (CNBC), Rated: AAA
- Coinbase Alert: Amazon Is Coming (Hacked), Rated: AAA
- From Acquisitions To New Hires, Coinbase Has Been Busy (Benzinga), Rated: A
- Why Qtum will be the next coin to be listed on Coinbase (Crypto Globalist), Rated: A
- SEC issues subpoena to cryptocurrency company Riot Blockchain (CNBC), Rated: AAA
- Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple & Litecoin: short-term technical analysis (FXStreet), Rated: AAA
- 8 Reasons Bitcoin Fails as a Currency (The Motley Fool), Rated: AAA
- Why Did Bitcoin Whales Sell $ 100M of Crypto? | Investopedia (Investopedia), Rated: A
- Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Monero Prices Surge–Is The Train Leaving The Station Again? (Forbes), Rated: B
- GDET Lays Out Initial Path Toward Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Mining Operations (GlobeNewswire), Rated: A
- Crypto Investment Firm Founder Turns Bullish on Bitcoin Cash (CCN), Rated: A
- Proposed Stable Coin Built on Ethereum Receives $ 133 Million in Private Investments (NewsBTC), Rated: A
- Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Could Help Facebook Recover From Massive Data Scandal (Forbes), Rated: AAA
- How to report cryptocurrencies on your taxes (WZZM13), Rated: A
- Sitting with the cyber-sleuths who track cryptocurrency criminals (MIT Technology Review), Rated: A
- Cryptocurrencies Are Nothing More Than the Tokens You Win by Playing Candy Crush (Bloomberg), Rated: A
- NASA Funds Development Of Autonomous Spacecraft That Uses Blockchain (CoinTelegraph), Rated: A
- tZero Says it is Meeting with SEC & 40 Regulators to Discuss Initial Coin Offering Regulations (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: AAA
- Hyperledger bug bounty program goes public (ZDNet), Rated: A
- The ICO is Dead, Long Live the ICO (Markets Media), Rated: A
- DarcMatter’s Secret to ICO Success: Exceptional Advisory and Leadership Team (PR Newswire), Rated: B
- Former ClearSlide GC Olga Mack Joins San Francisco’s Quantstamp as VP of Strategy (The Recorder), Rated: B
- ConsenSys Academy’s Online Ethereum Developer Program Returns This Summer (PR Newswire), Rated: B
- How the Rise of Cryptocurrencies Is Shaping the Cyber Crime Landscape (FireEye), Rated: AAA
- CLOAKCOIN JUMPS 35% AFTER BINANCE CONFIRMS TRADING (Bitcoinist), Rated: A
- The DAO-Over: How DAOstack Is Doing DAOs Right (CryptoSlate), Rated: A
- Introducing Basis, a Stable Cryptocurrency with an Algorithmic Central Bank (Medium), Rated: B
- European Union
- Ongoing EOS ICO Has Raised Over $ 2 Billion (Finance Magnates), Rated: AAA
- With This Cryptocurrency, Everyone Gets Paid (Fast Company), Rated: AAA
- New Ethereum Tech Calls on Slavic Gods for Security (CoinDesk), Rated: A
- SaveDroid Raises $ 50 Million in ICO, Disappears with Mocking Website as CEO Taunts Backers (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
- United Kingdom
- Lendingblock Nails $ 10 Million ICO to Fuel Crypto Lending Platform (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: AAA
- Binance to Add “USD To Crypto” Trading Pairs Soon (CryptoRecorder), Rated: AAA
- How the $ 30 Million Coin Burn Affects Binance Coin (Global Coin Report), Rated: A
- Huawei Unveils Hyperledger-Powered Blockchain Service Platform (CoinDesk), Rated: A
- Police Bust Alleged $ 13 Million Crypto Pyramid Scheme (CoinDesk), Rated: B
- Understanding India’s Cryptocurrency Crackdown (Forbes), Rated: AAA
- CoinRecoil director hopeful for ‘positive outcome’ in India’s reassessment of cryptocurrencies (CoinGeek), Rated: A
- Japanese Police Arrest 12 Men For Allegedly Buying $ 1.7 Mln In Bitcoin With Fake Fiat (CoinTelegraph), Rated: A
- Bitcoin ‘Not A Magnet For Illicit Transactions’ (Forbes), Rated: AAA
- Twiga Foods Bets on Blockchain to Offer Microloans to Kenyan Small Scale Vendors (Techweez), Rated: AAA
Amazon wins patent for data feed marketplace that could include bitcoin transactions (CNBC), Rated: AAA
Amazon Technologies has won a patent for a marketplace that offers data feeds, including bitcoin transactions.
Coinbase Alert: Amazon Is Coming (Hacked), Rated: AAA
Amazon is to the 21st century what Walmart was to the 20th century. Slowly, Amazon is putting its imprint onto more and more areas of business. Already AMZN is one of the world most valuable companies worth more than $725 billion. Their sheer size allows them to go wherever they want. Last year’s jumbo acquisition of Whole Foods is a good example.
Amazon filed this patent back in 2014 so it is obvious that cryptocurrencies were not the only application they had in mind for their Streaming Data Marketplace. That doesn’t change the fact that crypto has evolved in value to over $300 billion and adoption of bitcoin by Amazon would be a major legitimizing force in the whole crypto movement.
The one big thing standing in the way of acceptance of a large number of relatively small value transactions is liquidity (speed) and Amazon vendors profits could be enhanced or completely wiped out by crypto volatility. Before getting all excited, the Streaming Data Marketplace would need to address this issue.
From Acquisitions To New Hires, Coinbase Has Been Busy (Benzinga), Rated: A
Here’s a rundown of some major Coinbase announcements crypto traders may have missed:
- Back on Jan. 17, Coinbase acquired the engineering team from Memo.AI.
- In March, Coinbase announced it hired former LinkedIn head of mergers and acquisitions Emilie Choi to serve as VP of corporate and business development.
- On April 8, The Wall Street Journal reported that Coinbase contacted the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission to inquire about the possibility of becoming a licensed brokerage firm.
- Coinbase took a major step in countering cryptocurrency’s risky reputation April 9 when the company announced the hiring of Rachel Horwitz, formerly director of technology communications at Facebook.
- On April 13, Coinbase made another sizable acquisition when it announced a buyout of Ethereum wallet Cipher Browser.
- On Monday, Coinbase announced another major move, reportedly paying $100 million for Earn.com.
Why Qtum will be the next coin to be listed on Coinbase (Crypto Globalist), Rated: A
As QTUM price looks towards breaking the $100-mark for the second time ever in its history, listing on Coinbase will be key. The first time the coin breached the $100 mark, was back in January while coins such as Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple saw their price triple in a matter of months. QTUM hit $103.04 then recording an all-time high for the token and was listed 11th in the Coinmarketcap rankings. Reaching such astronomical highs for a token currently trading at around $20 will require the whole market to turn bullish for some months. However, the possibility of QTUM being listed on the exchange will in no doubt increase the adoption and chances to hit $100 significantly.
How exactly will QTUM win the race to be the next coin to be listed on the exchange?
- QTUM is a member of the Trust Alliance
- QTUM is no scam
SEC issues subpoena to cryptocurrency company Riot Blockchain (CNBC), Rated: AAA
The Securities and Exchange Commission has issued a subpoena to Riot Blockchain, the cryptocurrency company whose stock skyrocketed after changing its name, the company said on Tuesday.
Riot’s annual 10K report disclosed that it had received the SEC subpoena on April 9 “requesting certain information from the Company.”
Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple & Litecoin: short-term technical analysis (FXStreet), Rated: AAA
Yesterday, Goldman Sachs – through its partner Circle – bought Poloniex, a Boston-based negotiation platform, in an operation that some sources value at $400M.
Bitcoin’s minimum in yesterday’s retreat was $7,814.42, and that’s now the level to keep an eye on. In the 240 min. chart, it drew a doji candle at that level is rising ever since, having broken the first resistance, it now moves at $8,115 and heads to $82,87, the next resistance it already surpassed a few days ago.
BTC/USD 240 min
ETH/USD 240 min
The Directional Movement Index is similar to Bitcoin’s, with buyers in control and above the ADX.
XRP/USD 240 min
Ripple is constrained by a wedge, close to the roof. It has drawn a doji in its first test and could now go back to a support at $0.667. The next support is the wedge’s baseline at $0.6468.
LTC/USD 240 min
The MACD is quite different to the rest, with the average above the signal and having achieved the bullish and bearish testing patterns, favoring a risign setting.
8 Reasons Bitcoin Fails as a Currency (The Motley Fool), Rated: AAA
- It has virtually zero acceptance as a means of payment
- There exist low barriers to entry for crypto-competitors
- Store of value? Have you looked at the chart?
- Who’s counting in bitcoins? – When even the most ardent bitcoin evangelist calculates their net worth, they convert their bitcoins to come up with a U.S. dollar figure, not the other way around.
- It’s environmentally inefficient – In terms of environmental impact, bitcoin appears to be exceptionally costly.
- Not to mention, it’s not federally insured!
- Cryptocurrency exchanges are not bank accounts
- Bitcoin may be virtual, but bitcoin theft is very real
Why Did Bitcoin Whales Sell $ 100M of Crypto? | Investopedia (Investopedia), Rated: A
Among analysts, there is already significant speculation as to why these major owners might have decided to sell off such a large quantity of bitcoin at one time. Some individuals have pointed to New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who made an announcement indicating plans to launch an inquiry into 13 digital currency exchanges in order to determine information regarding volume, exchange fees and margin trading. However, news of Schneiderman’s inquiry broke several hours after the price o the cryptocurrency plunged.
It could be that these users happened to sell off large portions of bitcoin holdings at the same time by chance.
Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Monero Prices Surge–Is The Train Leaving The Station Again? (Forbes), Rated: B
Bitcoin is up 2.05% over the last 24 hours and 17.53% over the last seven days, Ethereum is up 1.95% and 21.74% over the same periods, while Ripple and Monero registered even higher gains.
7d Price Change For Major Cryptocurrencies
GDET Lays Out Initial Path Toward Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Mining Operations (GlobeNewswire), Rated: A
GD Entertainment And Technology (OTC:GDET) (“GDET” or the “Company”) is excited to announce the Company’s near-term plan of action in the context of its larger mission and business model.
The Company is in the process of setting up first-class cryptocurrency mining and colocation facilities in the greater New York metropolitan tri-state area (New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut) that will provide platform-based client access to high-capacity, high-efficiency cryptocurrency mining resources, as well as forming the basis for the Company’s own in-house mining activities. The Company has launched its initial website with detailed information on its business plan and plans to greatly expand details on its site in the coming weeks. The site can be found here: www.gdet.co
At present, the Company has established strategic partnerships with overseas equipment suppliers and, through those partners plans to secure dozens of cryptocurrency mining rigs (Bitmain S9 T9 A3 Avalon 821).
The Company will be deploying additional resources toward the following critical near-term objectives:
- Secure commercial space to house high-quality data center
- Secure permits to power initial data center
- Locate suitable additional commercial space to massively expand cryptocurrency mining capacity
- Work with established overseas strategic partners to secure large order of new mining rigs
Crypto Investment Firm Founder Turns Bullish on Bitcoin Cash (CCN), Rated: A
Brian Kelly, founder of Investment firm BKCM, tells CNBC the technical signs including a possible breakout are pointing to an opportunity in Bitcoin Cash (BCH). Investors apparently taking his advice, with the No. 4 cryptocurrency by market cap trading in the green today alongside other altcoins, up nearly 16% at the time of publication.
Proposed Stable Coin Built on Ethereum Receives $ 133 Million in Private Investments (NewsBTC), Rated: A
A new cryptocurrency start-up has received $133 million in private investments. Intangible Labs will use the money to develop “basis”, a stable coin that will be built on the Ethereum blockchain.
Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Could Help Facebook Recover From Massive Data Scandal (Forbes), Rated: AAA
Through the “Thisisyourdigitallife” app, CA member, Aleksandr Kogan, paid Facebook users in exchange for a detailed personality test, which was supposed to be used for “academic research” purposes. While it was reported that approximately 270,000 users consented to having their data collected, it was leaked last month that the app also pulled personal data from the Facebook friends of those users. That information — in the form of up to 87 million raw profiles — was then sold by the researcher to Cambridge Analytica, which used the data to manipulate Facebook users during the Trump campaign.
“I believe it is almost certain that the number of Facebook users whose data was compromised through routes similar to that used by Kogan is much greater than 87 million; and that both Cambridge Analytica and other unconnected companies and campaigns were involved in these activities,” Kaiser added in her statement to DCMSC.
In an effort to protect user data moving forward, Kaiser believes that personal data should be treated the same as property. Additionally, Kaiser notes that data should be portable, with individuals having the right to delete and move their data among various platforms.
How to report cryptocurrencies on your taxes (WZZM13), Rated: A
If you only use Bitcoin as an investment, taxation is fairly straightforward. The gains from the sale of a cryptocurrency are taxed at capital gains rates if the cryptocurrency was held for more than one year. If they were held for less than one year, the gains are taxed as ordinary income according to the correct individual tax bracket. If you lose money on the exchange, you can write off losses following the standard rules on capital losses.
However, if you use Bitcoin to purchase goods and services, the taxation on that Bitcoin must be treated as an individual sale of that Bitcoin (true for all cryptocurrencies). Let’s assume the Bitcoin you used to buy that meatball sub has twice the value of the original purchase price of that Bitcoin. You now owe taxes on the 100% gain in value of the Bitcoin that you just cashed in. On the bright side, if your Bitcoin dropped in value, you have a tax loss to write off.
Sitting with the cyber-sleuths who track cryptocurrency criminals (MIT Technology Review), Rated: A
An industry has sprung up to help fight back. New forensic tools are allowing authorities to follow the money through cryptocurrency networks that are turning out to be far less private than their founders hoped. Just as closed-circuit cameras turned bank robbers from celebrated criminals into easily caught rubes, researchers hope that their advances can turn anonymous thieves into known prisoners, and make the cryptocurrency world safe for the average customer.
The opportunities in cryptocrime
If you’re up to no good, cryptocurrencies tick a lot of boxes. The only thing tying you to an account in Bitcoin or Ethereum or NEM or a thousand other cryptocurrency systems is an address, typically a random string of letters and numbers. You can have as many addresses as you like, and in principle, there is no obvious way to tie them together or identify their owners. What’s more, money in these accounts can be transferred without intermediaries and across international borders as easily as sending an e-mail.
Clever criminals are embracing the new opportunities. A 2018 study by blockchain analysis startup Elliptic and the Center on Sanctions and Illicit Finance, a US think tank, found a fivefold increase in the number of large-scale illegal operations working on the Bitcoin blockchain between 2013 and 2016. By analyzing the history of more than 500,000 bitcoins, they identified 102 criminal entities—including dark-web marketplaces, Ponzi schemes, and ransomware attackers—and showed that many of the coins in their study could be linked back to them.
Cryptocurrencies Are Nothing More Than the Tokens You Win by Playing Candy Crush (Bloomberg), Rated: A
The difference between earning coins by playing Candy Crush to earning cryptocurrencies from solving sophisticated mathematical formulas is that cryptocurrencies are tradeable, the head of Richard Bernstein Advisors LLC said in a note Wednesday.
And it’s that ability to be traded that’s fueled what the former Merrill Lynch chief investment strategist says is a classic asset bubble. The coins have increased liquidity, increased use of leverage, democratization of the market, increased turnover and increased new issues, Bernstein said.
NASA Funds Development Of Autonomous Spacecraft That Uses Blockchain (CoinTelegraph), Rated: A
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has awarded a new grant that supports the development of an autonomous spacecraft that could make decisions using Blockchain technology without human intervention, news outlet Space.com reported April 18.
Jin Wei Kocsis, an assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering at the University of Akron, Ohio, received a $330,000 NASA grant to support her research.
tZero Says it is Meeting with SEC & 40 Regulators to Discuss Initial Coin Offering Regulations (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: AAA
Joe Cammarata, President of tZero, was visiting with Security Token Academy last week when he made an interesting comment. Cammarata said he was scheduled to meet with the Securities and Exchange Commission in Washington, DC this week to discuss regulation of tokenized securities.
Hyperledger bug bounty program goes public (ZDNet), Rated: A
The Hyperledger project has opened the doors of its bug bounty program to the public.
The ICO is Dead, Long Live the ICO (Markets Media), Rated: A
Democratizing access to early-stage capital raising has been the raison d’etre for initial coin offerings since their beginning, but many investors quickly find that some investors are still more equal than others.
Steinberg attributed the increased investment by professional money managers to venture capitalists adapting to a new funding model.
DarcMatter’s Secret to ICO Success: Exceptional Advisory and Leadership Team (PR Newswire), Rated: B
The award winning DarcMatter platform, which has successfully delivered key financial technology solutions for their clients globally for 3+ years, benefits from a strong community of advocates and financial technology enthusiasts sharing the same passion as the DarcMatter team: increasing access and transparency throughout investment services. As the company’s financial technology solutions evolve to include blockchain, DarcMatter Coin (DMC) will be utilized on the NEM blockchain to continue to remove opacity and inefficiencies throughout the industry. Pursuing the implementation and integration of blockchain technology into a pre-established business, takes some key expertise and knowledge of both the financial industry and the core blockchain technology. To DarcMatter’s significant benefit, DMC’s ICO project consists of an exceptionally strong advisory and leadership team which is a key foundational element to the company’s success with blockchain integration.
Former ClearSlide GC Olga Mack Joins San Francisco’s Quantstamp as VP of Strategy (The Recorder), Rated: B
In March, former ClearSlide Inc. GC Olga Mack was three months into a planned year off from full-time work—she wanted to travel and spend time on pursuits outside of the office, like her recent appointment to the California Law Revision Commission.
But then she got an offer she couldn’t refuse. Three months into her break, Mack’s re-joined the full-time workforce as vice president of strategy for San Francisco-based Quantstamp Inc.
ConsenSys Academy’s Online Ethereum Developer Program Returns This Summer (PR Newswire), Rated: B
Since its founding in 2017, ConsenSys Academy has been bridging the Ethereum knowledge gap through a variety of unique educational offerings. One of its most popular programs last year was a technical course that drew 1,300 applicants from more than 95 countries for a mere 150 spots. The Developer Program is coming back this June, with registration opening on April 16th.
How the Rise of Cryptocurrencies Is Shaping the Cyber Crime Landscape (FireEye), Rated: AAA
FireEye iSIGHT Intelligence has identified eCrime actor interest in cryptocurrency infrastructure-related topics dating back to at least 2009 within underground communities. While searches for certain keywords fail to provide context, the frequency of specific words, such as blockchain, Namecoin, and .bit, show a sharp increase in conversations surrounding these topics beginning in 2015.
Namecoin is a cryptocurrency based on the Bitcoin code that is used to register and manage domain names with the top-level domain (TLD) .bit. Everyone who registers a Namecoin domain is essentially their own domain registrar; however, domain registration is not associated with an individual’s name or address.
Common OpenNIC IPs
While analyzing these malware samples, FireEye researchers discovered a privately managed OpenNIC DNS server commonly used across multiple families. This likely indicates the use of a shared infrastructure service that supports .bit communications.
Navigating to Emercoin Domains
Emercoin also maintains a peering agreement with OpenNIC, meaning domains registered with the Emercoin’s EMCDNS service are accessible to all users of OpenNIC DNS servers.
FireEye iSIGHT Intelligence has observed eCrime actors using Emercoin domains for malicious infrastructure, albeit to a lesser extent. Examples of these operations include:
- Operators of Joker’s Stash, a prolific and well-known card data shop, frequently change the site’s URL. Recently, they opted for using a blockchain domain (jstash[.]bazar) instead of Tor, ostensibly for greater operational security.
- Similarly, the following card shops have also moved to .bazar domains:
- In addition to the hard-coded Namecoin domain, the aforementioned Neutrino sample also contained several hard-coded Emercoin domains:
CLOAKCOIN JUMPS 35% AFTER BINANCE CONFIRMS TRADING (Bitcoinist), Rated: A
Privacy-focused altcoin CloakCoin (CLOAK) hit $16 April 18 after the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange Binance confirmed it had listed the asset.
The DAO-Over: How DAOstack Is Doing DAOs Right (CryptoSlate), Rated: A
Decentralized autonomous organizations, or DAOs, are the companies of the future — with no central point of failure, no downtime, and no need for offices or regular employees.
The most disturbing part about the infamous DAO kerfuffle was the fact that the founders of The DAO, which we’ll call the Original DAO in this article to avoid confusion, were made aware of the vulnerability early on in their crowdsale.
To Matan, there are two distinct levels in which a governance system on the blockchain can go fatally wrong, and the original DAO hit both of them.
Introducing Basis, a Stable Cryptocurrency with an Algorithmic Central Bank (Medium), Rated: B
I am excited to announce today that Basis (formerly Basecoin) has raised $133M in a private placement from Bain Capital Ventures, GV, Stanley Druckenmiller, Kevin Warsh, Lightspeed, Foundation Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, Wing VC, NFX, Valor Capital, Zhenfund, INBlockchain, Ceyuan Ventures, Sky9 Capital, and many more. Together, we are building a cryptocurrency with an algorithmic central bank that we believe will make cryptocurrency stable and usable around the world.
Ongoing EOS ICO Has Raised Over $ 2 Billion (Finance Magnates), Rated: AAA
EOS, a blockchain company with a 350-day ICO, has so far raised $2.6 billion according to a price analysis published in Brave New Coin.
Another unique point is that the price of the tokens is set by market demand, not set as is usually the case. They have averaged a price of $4.42.
With This Cryptocurrency, Everyone Gets Paid (Fast Company), Rated: AAA
Circles is a cryptocurrency meant to experiment with a kind of ground-up basic income, whereby every participant gets a weekly payout through the blockchain. The premise still takes the form of a question more than an answer. Can you use the math of the blockchain not to repeat the existing patterns of wealth, but rather to redistribute wealth in a fair and trackable way?
Imagine you’re a volunteer at the co-op, says Murphy, and, like every other member, you also sign up for Circles. Every Friday, the Circles network deposits 100 coins into your wallet–and that of every co-op volunteer–a sum you can use as you see fit at the co-op’s garden, cafe, or restaurant. You could spend your coins at other participating shops, provided the shops are within your community “circle” of trust. Here, a coin would represent a unit of your work, not a standard set by a government, as in fiat currencies, or the “work” of blockchain-validating computers, as in most other cryptocurrencies.
New Ethereum Tech Calls on Slavic Gods for Security (CoinDesk), Rated: A
Inspired by bitcoin’s lightning network, a group of researchers hailing from Warsaw have unveiled a new white paper entitled “Foundations of State Channel Networks,” which outlines a protocol designed to help ethereum scale to support higher volumes of more complex smart contracts.
SaveDroid Raises $ 50 Million in ICO, Disappears with Mocking Website as CEO Taunts Backers (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
SaveDroid appears to be the latest in a long line of initial coin offering scams. Adding insult to injury, the website home page posted a mocking image stating “aannnd its gone” while the CEO tweeted photo stating Thanks guys! Over and out …
#savedroidICO – while holding a beer. Cheeky yes. Illegal? Well, I guess that is for the German authorities to figure out. I guess it could be some sort of cruel PR stunt.
Lendingblock Nails $ 10 Million ICO to Fuel Crypto Lending Platform (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: AAA
Lendingblock, an interesting spin on cryptocurrency lending, has easily hit its initial coin offering target (ICO) hard cap of $10 million early. The LND coin will be used as the currency for payment and receipt of interest on the platform.
Binance to Add “USD To Crypto” Trading Pairs Soon (CryptoRecorder), Rated: AAA
Binance has announced that it is making plans to add USD to crypto trading pair.
Some cryptocurrencies could receive a boost from Binance’s “USD crypto’ trading pairs are Ripple (XRP) and Verge (XVG). These two digital assets have been trying to get listed on the US-based Coinbase cryptocurrency exchange without success. Coinbase already allows “USD crypto” trading pairs but it is not easy for a digital asset to get listed.
XRP/USD and XVG/USD trading pairs on Binance are bound to increase the trading volumes on for both Ripple and Verge. Consequently, it could also attract more investors, as a result, the prices could spike.
How the $ 30 Million Coin Burn Affects Binance Coin (Global Coin Report), Rated: A
Binance declared earlier in their whitepaper that they were about to conduct a $30 million BNB token burn event which was completed in due course. However, it did not seem to impact the price too much, as the BNB token was still trading at a -2% on 15th April, valued at a high of $13.84 USD. The token burn generally was for increasing demand for a coin, and although BNB experienced a slight increase in the days leading up to the event, the coin was still trading at a negative despite the burn.
Huawei Unveils Hyperledger-Powered Blockchain Service Platform (CoinDesk), Rated: A
Telecommunications and smartphone provider Huawei has become the latest tech giant in China to launch a blockchain-as-a-service (BaaS) platform.
Announced at Huawei’s analyst conference in Shenzhen on Tuesday, the company’s new platform, dubbed Blockchain Service, is said to enable companies to develop smart contracts on top of a distributed ledger network for several use-case scenarios.
Police Bust Alleged $ 13 Million Crypto Pyramid Scheme (CoinDesk), Rated: B
Police in China’s northwestern city of Xi’An have arrested the founders of a claimed nationwide cryptocurrency pyramid scheme that allegedly amassed 86 million yuan ($13 million) from over 13,000 people.
Understanding India’s Cryptocurrency Crackdown (Forbes), Rated: AAA
This means that come July, India’s banks and lenders will no longer be able to transact or facilitate transactions with companies or individuals that trade in cryptocurrencies.
In his speech, Mr. Kanungo briefly outlined the reasoning behind the directive that effectively shuts down crypto trade in India, contending that virtual currencies “can seriously undermine the AML [anti-money laundering] and FATF [Financial Action Task Force] framework, adversely impact market integrity and capital control, and if they grow beyond a critical size, can endanger financial stability as well.”
The RBI move comes as governments across the globe are increasing restrictions on virtual currencies.
CoinRecoil director hopeful for ‘positive outcome’ in India’s reassessment of cryptocurrencies (CoinGeek), Rated: A
“No we don’t think that cryptocurrencies will get recognition as legal tender in India as finance ministry has clearly told that cryptocurrencies are ‘Not legal Tender In India’. We also respect the statement. It is similar to USD or any other foreign currencies, which are not legal tender in India.
“But at the same time, Blockchain is embraced by the government and its stand on this revolutionary technology is positive and encouraging.”
Japanese Police Arrest 12 Men For Allegedly Buying $ 1.7 Mln In Bitcoin With Fake Fiat (CoinTelegraph), Rated: A
Tokyo and Hyogo police have arrested a further five persons in connection with an alleged fraud case involving ¥190 mln ($1.7 mln) worth of Bitcoin, bringing the total number of arrested persons in the case to 12, local news outlet TBS reported April 16.
According to TBS, on July 25, 2017, in a Tokyo hotel, the suspects allegedly presented a man, who was acting as an agent for a company executive in his 40s, with ¥200 mln (~$1.9 mln) in counterfeit cash remittances.
Bitcoin ‘Not A Magnet For Illicit Transactions’ (Forbes), Rated: AAA
The Chief Scientist of Canada’s second most populous province says concerns that Bitcoin is being used for illicit activities like money laundering and tax evasion are largely overblown, according to a new post on the agency’s website.
The rationale underlying the conclusion was two-fold: Bitcoin’s lack of fully anonymous transactability and the existence of other cryptocurrencies like Zcash and Monero that offer greater privacy to users.
Twiga Foods Bets on Blockchain to Offer Microloans to Kenyan Small Scale Vendors (Techweez), Rated: AAA
With this in mind, Twiga Foods, a Kenyan logistics company that leverages mobile technology to offer a platform for farmers and agri-based traders to supply and deliver produce to clients has inked a blockchain-based microfinancing partnership with IBM Research.