- Today’s main news: Coinbase makes global VC-backed fintech unicorn list. CoinMarketCap removes Bitcoin.com from BTC page. Ethereum records 1 million transactions per day. Binance CEO says ICOs are necessary, 100 times easier than venture capital. Huobi Labs to launch blockchain incubator.
- Today’s main analysis: How Bitcion futures trading turned the market around.
- Today’s thought-provoking articles: Is Ripple headed for trouble? Wall Street is warming up to Bitcoin. $35B falls from crypto market as Bitcoin teases $10K. A look at Bitcoin, Ripple, and Ethereum charts. Crypto brokers push for transparency. NEO price in correlation with Ethereum price.
- Coinbase is one of the largest fintech unicorns in the world. AT: Coinbase’s ranking at No. 12 is based on a $1.5 billion valuation. If the company’s latest valuation is correct, $8 billion would make it No. 3 on the list, right behind Stripe at $9.2 billion. If the exchange keeps growing, and I expect it will, it will soon be the second largest VC-backed fintech unicorn in the world.”
- Coinbase registers nearly 100 .app domains. AT: “A good look at the list should give you an idea of where Coinbase may be headed, though I suspect some of these are simply to prevent others from buying up those domains, so it’s possible that Coinbase won’t do anything with most of these.”
- Something isn’t right with Ripple. Is it headed for trouble? AT: “Just a headline, or do you see what this analyst sees?”
- Why Ripple must put its lawsuit to bed quickly.
- How futures trading turned Bitcoin around. AT: “This is quite a charge, and remarkably has merit. Bitcoin was on the rise until Bitcoin futures opened up. The question remains, would the same thing have happened, even on a smaller scale, had only one stock exchange started offering Bitcoin futures trading, or was the Bitcoin price plunge directly related to the Chicago Mercantile Exchange opening the door?”
- Wall Street warms up to Bitcoin.
- $35 billion wiped off the crypto market as Bitcoin teases $10K.
- Bill Gates says he’d short Bitcoin if he could.
- Why Warren Buffett already invests in Ripple.
- How institutional investors can do due diligence in crypto.
- Think twice before buying crypto, Wall Street analyst warns.
- Can Litecoin retake No. 5 position from EOS?
- Who monitors crypto wallets?
- ICO Alert is on pace to list over 5K ICOs in 2018.
- Portsmouth is New Hampshire’s crypto hotspot.
- Circle adds Monero.
- Arizona won’t take tax payments in cryptocurrencies.
- Conduent joins the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance.
- Ledger wallet featured on Billions TV show.
- CoinMarketCap removes Bitcoin.com from BTC page.
- Why Ripple doesn’t need Coinbase.
- Why Ripple is headlining.
- Bitcoin, Ripple, and Ethereum charts.
- New crypto exchanges don’t want to hold money.
- 10 must-follow crypto and blockchain influencers.
- Is Tron to be listed on Coinbase?
- Alternatives to Coinbase.
- CBlocks made $32K in 30 days and now it’s moving to Canada.
- What crypto startups can learn from the dotcom boom and bust.
- Publishing 2.0: The blockchain version.
- Bermuda signs MOU with Overstock subsidiary.
- Bytecoin surges 30% after listing on Binance.
- Animoca, Red Robot partner on crypto wallet app.
- BMW tests blockchain for mileage tracking.
- Introduction to Elastos.
- Ethereum records 1 million transactions per day. AT: Oustanding!
- Callisto’s airdrop on Ethereum Classic.
- Crypto brokers push for transparency.
- Bitcoin brokers call for regulation.
- IOTA founder says Trinity Wallet will be released before Q.
- Iceland’s missing Bitcoin miners could be in China.
- Ireland’s first ICO to raise 20 million Euro.
- Binance CEO says ICOs are necessary, 100 times easier than VC.
- Meet Changpeng Zhao, Binance CEO/founder. AT: “An excellent interview.”
- BNB Token review.
- NEO price correlates with Ethereum’s.
- Huobi Labs to launch $1 billion blockchain incubator.
- Crypto exchanges flee Asia.
- Physical Bitcoin bank notes launch in Singapore.
- Japan bolsters crypto exchange regulations.
- QUOINE launches ICO platform on QRYPTOS.
- SPINDLE connects crypto hedge funds with investors through blockchain.
- Conflict of interest with Ripple critic in UK parliament?
- Ontology to host meetup in London.
- United Kingdom: UPayCard reduces crypto wallet fees.
- Australia: Nauticus launches beta of advanced crypto exchange.
- Huobi extends into Canada.
- Canada: SEC not very interesting at Ethereum meeting.
- Canada: DMG Blockchain Solutions launches BitScore AML risk API for crypto exchanges.
- Saudi Arabia: Why the Saudis keep partnering with blockchain startups.
- Kenya: Using blockchain, cryptocurrency to settle real estate sales.
- United States
- The 27 fintech unicorns from around the world (Business Insider), Rated: AAA
- Coinbase registers nearly 100 .app domains (Domain Name Wire), Rated: A
- Ripple price analysis: Something is not right, charts are pointing a trouble (FXStreet), Rated: AAA
- Why Ripple (XRP) Must Quickly Put Lawsuit to Rest (Hade Platform), Rated: B
- How Futures Trading Changed Bitcoin Prices (Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco), Rated: AAA
- Bitcoin Sees Wall Street Warm to Trading Virtual Currency (The New York Times), Rated: AAA
- Bitcoin Builds Momentum In Run To $ 10,000 (Forbes), Rated: A
- $ 35 Bln Wiped Off Crypto Markets As BTC Tests $ 10k, Only To Retreat (CoinTelegraph), Rated: AAA
- Bill Gates: I would short bitcoin if I could (CNBC), Rated: A
- Here’s Why Warren Buffett is Already Invested in Ripple (XRP) (Global Coin Report), Rated: A
- How Institutional Investors Can Do Due Diligence in the Crypto Space (Unchained), Rated: A
- Think Twice Before Buying Cryptocurrencies Despite Increase, Warns Wall Street Analyst (Cryptona), Rated: A
- Can Litecoin (LTC) rally to retake top 5 ranking from EOS? (Stocks Gazette), Rated: A
- Who monitors digital currency wallets? (JD Supra), Rated: A
- ‘WE’RE ON PACE TO LIST OVER 5,000 ICOS THIS YEAR,’ SAYS ICO ALERT COFOUNDER (Bitcoinist), Rated: A
- Portsmouth: New Hampshire’s Digital Currency Hotspot (Truth in Media), Rated: A
- Circle Adds Monero to Crypto Investment App (CoinDesk), Rated: B
- Arizona Says No to Paying Taxes With Cryptocurrencies (247WallSt.), Rated: B
- Conduent Joins the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance, Next Step in Blockchain Strategy (PR Newswire), Rated: B
- Ledger Cryptocurrency Wallet Featured on Showtime’s Billions TV Show (Bitcoin Exchange Guide), Rated: B
- CoinMarketCap Quietly Removes BCH-Promoting Bitcoin.com From Its BTC Page (CoinTelegraph), Rated: AAA
- Here Is Why Ripple Don’t Need Coinbase to Add XRP To SkyRocket (CryptoRecorder), Rated: AAA
- Why Ripple is Raging Through the Headlines Right Now (Nasdaq), Rated: A
- Bitcoin, Ripple & Ethereum Charts at a Glance (Nasdaq), Rated: AAA
- New Crypto Exchanges Don’t Want (to Hold) Your Money (Bloomberg), Rated: AAA
- 10 must follow influencers in Cryptocurrency and Blockchain (TechJuice), Rated: A
- Tron (TRX) to be listed on Coinbase as part of its Main Net launch? (BitGekko), Rated: A
- Best Alternative Cryptocurrency Exchanges To Coinbase (Bitcoin Exchange Guide), Rated: A
- This cryptocurrency company made $ 32,000 in 30 days — now it’s moving to Canada to avoid regulation (Business Insider), Rated: A
- What Crypto Start-ups Can Learn from the Dotcom Boom and Bust (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
- Publishing 2.0: A New Beginning with Blockchain Technology (BTCManager), Rated: A
- Bermuda signs MoU with Overstock’s blockchain subsidiary Medici Ventures (EconoTimes), Rated: A
- Bytecoin Surges 30% On Binance Listing (Ethereum World News), Rated: A
- Animoca joint venture with Red Robot to develop cryptowallet app (IT Wire), Rated: B
- BMW Test Drives Blockchain for Car Mileage Tracking (CoinDesk), Rated: B
- Elastos (ELA): The First Decentralized Internet for Smart Economy (Crypto Globalist), Rated: B
- European Union
- After Months Ethereum Records 1 Million Transactions per Day (BTC Manager), Rated: AAA
- All eyes on the coming Callisto (CLO) Airdrop on Ethereum Classic ETC (CryptoRecorder), Rated: A
- Crypto Brokers Push for Transparency Before Rules Get Made (Bloomberg), Rated: AAA
- European Bitcoin brokers call for regulation (My Broadband), Rated: A
- IOTA founder David Sønstebø says Trinity Wallet will be released before “Q” (Crypto Coin Spy), Rated: A
- Iceland’s Missing Bitcoin Miners May Be In China (CoinDesk), Rated: A
- IRELANDS FIRST ICO ZETO SMART MONITORING FIRM TO RAISE €20 MILLION IN FUNDING ROUND (Irish Tech News), Rated: B
- United Kingdom
- Potential Conflict of Interest? UK Parliament Blockchain [and Ripple] Critic Worked For R3 (CCN), Rated: A
- Ontology hosts first community meetup, London (NEO News Today), Rated: B
- UPayCard Reduces Crypto-Wallet Fees (Latest Casino Bonuses), Rated: B
- Binance CEO Calls ICOs Necessary And ‘100 Times Easier Than Traditional Venture Capital’ (CoinTelegraph), Rated: AAA
- Meet Changpeng Zhao, Founder and CEO of Binance, the World’s Largest Crypto Exchange (Crypto Globe), Rated: A
- Binance (BNB) Token Review: The Most Widely-Used Exchange Token (Chainbits), Rated: AAA
- NEO Price Has Correlation with Ethereum Price, eToro Analysis Shows (Finance Magnates), Rated: AAA
- With $ 14.6 Million Already Raised, Nauticus Launches Beta of Advanced Cryptocurrency Exchange (Digital Journal), Rated: AAA
- HUOBI LABS: AN UPCOMING $ 1 BILLION BLOCKCHAIN INCUBATOR (Bitcoinist), Rated: AAA
- Cryptocurrency Exchanges Fleeing Asia Over Tough Regulations (Financial Tribune), Rated: A
- Physical Bitcoin Banknotes Launched in Singapore (Blokt), Rated: A
- Japan Bolsters Crypto Exchange Regulations to Prevent Another Coincheck (CCN), Rated: A
- QUOINE launches groundbreaking ICO platform on QRYPTOS (PR Newswire), Rated: B
- Japanese Investment Matchmaking Platform To Make Humans ‘Financially Autonomous’ (CoinTelegraph), Rated: B
- Huobi Extents into Canada (The Oofy), Rated: AAA
- Dancing Badgers Draw More Attention Than SEC at Ethereum Meeting (Bloomberg), Rated: A
- DMG Blockchain Solutions Launches ‘BitScore’ AML Risk API for Crypto Exchanges, Payment Platforms (Globe Newswire), Rated: A
- Why Saudi Arabia Keeps Partnering With Blockchain Startups (Fortune), Rated: A
- Kenya is Using Blockchain and Cryptocurrency to Settle Real Estate Sales (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
The 27 fintech unicorns from around the world (Business Insider), Rated: AAA
CB Insights, which tracks the venture capital industry, recently provided a list of what it believes are all the fintech unicorns in the world — venture capital-backed, private businesses worth over $1 billion.
12. Coinbase — $1.5 billion-$8 billion
Value: $1.5 billion-$8 billion (CB Insights lists Coinbase’s value at $1.5 billion but recent stories suggest the company is trying to value itself at up to $8 billion.)
What it does: Cryptocurrency exchange and related services.
HQ: San Francisco.
Raised: $225.3 million.
Coinbase registers nearly 100 .app domains (Domain Name Wire), Rated: A
Cryptocurrency trading platform Coinbase was particularly active on day 3 of early access, registering nearly 100 domain names. These are mostly for defensive reasons, as you’ll be able to see when reviewing the list.
Ripple price analysis: Something is not right, charts are pointing a trouble (FXStreet), Rated: AAA
XRP/USD is down around 5 percent on day at $0.822, but off the lows of the day of $0.798. What worries the bulls is the formation of breakdown on the hourly and 120-minute charts on a frequent basis.
Why Ripple (XRP) Must Quickly Put Lawsuit to Rest (Hade Platform), Rated: B
The Effects of the lawsuit on XRP are:
1) Distracting Ripple (XRP) team
2) Delaying SEC
How Futures Trading Changed Bitcoin Prices (Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco), Rated: AAA
From Bitcoin’s inception in 2009 through mid-2017, its price remained under $4,000. In the second half of 2017, it climbed dramatically to nearly $20,000, but descended rapidly starting in mid-December. The peak price coincided with the introduction of bitcoin futures trading on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange.
Bitcoin price dynamics from the end of 2017 to early 2018
When discussing the price of a currency or an asset like bitcoin, it is useful to separate transactionaldemand, which arises from using bitcoins in transactions such as purchases of goods and services, from speculative demand, which arises when people are buying bitcoins in the hope that their value will increase.
Speculative demand for bitcoin came only from optimists, investors who were willing to bet money that the price was going to go up. And until December 17, those investors were right.
This one-sided speculative demand came to an end when the futures for bitcoin started trading on the CME on December 17. Although the Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE) had opened a futures market a week earlier on December 10, trading was thin until the CME joined the market.
Bitcoin Sees Wall Street Warm to Trading Virtual Currency (The New York Times), Rated: AAA
The parent company of the New York Stock Exchange has been working on an online trading platform that would allow large investors to buy and hold Bitcoin, according to emails and documents viewed by The New York Times and four people briefed on the effort who asked to remain anonymous because the plans were still confidential.
The news of the virtual exchange, which has not been reported before, came after Goldman Sachs went public with its intention to open a Bitcoin trading unit — most likely the first of its kind at a Wall Street bank.
The new interest among Wall Street power brokers also represents a surprising new chapter in the renegade history of Bitcoin.
Bitcoin Builds Momentum In Run To $ 10,000 (Forbes), Rated: A
The price of Bitcoin rose to as much as $9,954.95 on Saturday, May 5, briefly fluctuating close to $10,000 before falling back to $9,409.23 the following day, CoinDesk Bitcoin Price Index (BPI) figures show.
While Bitcoin has been struggling to reach $10,000, several analysts offered a bullish perspective on how this blue-chip digital currency will perform going forward.
Technical analysis points to bullish momentum, as both the highs and lows have been rising in value over the last month, noted Greenspan.
$ 35 Bln Wiped Off Crypto Markets As BTC Tests $ 10k, Only To Retreat (CoinTelegraph), Rated: AAA
May 7: more than $35 bln dollars were wiped off the crypto markets this weekend, as Bitcoin (BTC) tantalizingly tested the $10,000 resistance, only to retrace Sunday, May 6.
Total market capitalization, which came close to half a trln on Saturday, is now down to $429 bln as of press time, as per Coinmarketcap data. All but one of the top ten coins are in the red, as data from Coin360 shows.
Bill Gates: I would short bitcoin if I could (CNBC), Rated: A
“As an asset class, you’re not producing anything and so you shouldn’t expect it to go up. It’s kind of a pure ‘greater fool theory’ type of investment,” Gates said on CNBC’s “Squawk Box.”
Here’s Why Warren Buffett is Already Invested in Ripple (XRP) (Global Coin Report), Rated: A
Warren Buffett is invested directly in a number of financial institutions. From Bank of America to Wells Fargo, these long-term holds make up a sizable portion of the latest traded stocks in his portfolio. And while Bank of America may have recently admitted that cryptocurrencies represent a threat to their business model (amazing considering these coins don’t produce anything /sarc) others on his list are experimenting with crypto-systems as a way of reinventing payments.
Examples of financial institutions using blockchain technology, and specifically Ripple (XRP), to facilitate cross-border transactions should not be news to anyone anymore. Ripple (XRP) is in use by over 100 of these institutions in an ever-growing list of users and partnerships.
How Institutional Investors Can Do Due Diligence in the Crypto Space (Unchained), Rated: A
Think Twice Before Buying Cryptocurrencies Despite Increase, Warns Wall Street Analyst (Cryptona), Rated: A
Professional analyst in the Wall Street, Nick Colas demotivates on the purchase of Bitcoin despite the recent value increase of cryptocurrencies. Colas, the first brokerage analyst investigating on Bitcoin in-depth, mentioned during an interview with CNBC on the 4thMay 2018.
Colas says a lot of people in the Wall Street are asking whether now is the right time to buy Bitcoin. But he believes that the short answer is no, for two fundamental reasons. The first is there are not much incremental engagement from people interested in buying Bitcoin for the first time. Like any new technology it requires new adopters to come in to make it more valuable. And in terms of Google searches, they are way down from the peaks back in December and January, by almost 85 to 90 percent which is not good.
Can Litecoin (LTC) rally to retake top 5 ranking from EOS? (Stocks Gazette), Rated: A
First, it was EOS that blitzed past with a smoldering performance over the months of March and April. Then next in line to overtake LTC was Cardano. It happened after a rally of its own, supported by updates to its roadmap and ADA being added to Binance. There were also rumors of a possible Coinbase listing.
Nevertheless, Litecoin has mounted a rally of its own, quickly retaking 6th position from Cardano. The excellent performance has left LTC among the few cryptocurrencies in the top 10 still in the green over the last 7days. EOS, on the other hand, is trading at +2.68% higher today than yesterday, but its value is -5.76% over the last 7 days.
Who monitors digital currency wallets? (JD Supra), Rated: A
Investors in Virtual Currency (VC) utilize the services of on-line “secure” platforms for buying, selling, transferring, and storing VC. The providers of these services are known as web-wallets (Coinbase is an example). They are required to register and operate as Money Service Businesses (MSB) by the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN). MSB’s that operate in the U.S. are regulated by the state. This means that while web-wallets are not subjected to the direct oversight of the Securities Exchange Commission (SEC), the MSB’s are required to keep records and file reports on certain transactions to FinCEN by Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) regulations.
What is a MSB?
According to FinCEN and the IRS, a MSB is “any person doing business, whether or not on a regular basis or as an organized business concern, in one or more of the following capacities:
(1) Currency dealer or exchanger.
(2) Check casher.
(3) Issuer of traveler’s checks, money orders or stored value.
(4) Seller or redeemer of traveler’s checks, money orders or stored value.
(5) Money transmitter.
(6) U.S. Postal Service”
‘WE’RE ON PACE TO LIST OVER 5,000 ICOS THIS YEAR,’ SAYS ICO ALERT COFOUNDER (Bitcoinist), Rated: A
Bitcoinist: Have you noticed a decrease in ICO launches and listings on your website since the ban was initiated?
Mike Finch: ICO Alert is on pace to list over 5,000 ICOs this year, up way more than the 1,848 listings last year.
Portsmouth: New Hampshire’s Digital Currency Hotspot (Truth in Media), Rated: A
New Hampshire has become home to an impressive number of cryptocurrency-accepting businesses, with several businesses embracing the decentralized benefits of cryptocurrency by offering common payment options such as Dash, Bitcoin, and Bitcoin Cash.
You can find the hub of this movement in the town of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, which is described as “Bitcoin Village.” A significant feature of this village is the Free State Bitcoin Shoppe, a store attracting customers from high-traffic tourist areas nearby with their unique crypto-related and liberty-centric goods. However, tourists quickly learn that they can’t purchase anything in the store with cash, which provides an opportunity for the proprietors of the Free State Bitcoin Shoppe to step in and educate newcomers.
Zeiler has also developed a system for local businesses to accept various cryptocurrencies as payment. AnyPay.global is a new POS system spreading quickly and flourishing in the Portsmouth area.
Circle Adds Monero to Crypto Investment App (CoinDesk), Rated: B
Blockchain startup Circle is adding the privacy-focused cryptocurrency monero to its Invest application, the company announced Monday.
Arizona Says No to Paying Taxes With Cryptocurrencies (247WallSt.), Rated: B
The Arizona Senate was considering a bill to accept cryptocurrency as payment for state taxes, but, as finally passed, the bill dropped all references to cryptocurrencies.
Here’s the original proposed language on cryptocurrency payment that was eliminated from the final version:
2. A PAYMENT GATEWAY, SUCH AS BITCOIN OR OTHER CRYPTOCURRENCY, USING ELECTRONIC PEER-TO-PEER SYSTEMS. THE DEPARTMENT SHALL CONVERT CRYPTOCURRENCY PAYMENTS TO UNITED STATES DOLLARS AT THE PREVAILING RATE WITHIN TWENTY-FOUR HOURS AFTER RECEIPT AND SHALL CREDIT THE TAXPAYER’S ACCOUNT WITH THE CONVERTED DOLLAR AMOUNT.
Conduent Joins the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance, Next Step in Blockchain Strategy (PR Newswire), Rated: B
Ledger Cryptocurrency Wallet Featured on Showtime’s Billions TV Show (Bitcoin Exchange Guide), Rated: B
Showtime’s Billions TV show recently featured the Ledger Nano S as a plot point.
CoinMarketCap Quietly Removes BCH-Promoting Bitcoin.com From Its BTC Page (CoinTelegraph), Rated: AAA
Major Cryptocurrency price tracking site CoinMarketCap (CMC) has removed the website Bitcoin.com from its Bitcoin (BTC) page as of today, May 6. Though there was no official announcement from CMC, the price tracker removed Bitcoin.com as BTC’s secondary website evidently in the wake of recent allegations that Bitcoin.com was misleading customers into buying Bitcoin Cash(BCH) instead of Bitcoin.
Here Is Why Ripple Don’t Need Coinbase to Add XRP To SkyRocket (CryptoRecorder), Rated: AAA
In the last 30 days, Ripple has managed to collect gains in a total of 73% against the dollar, however, it started to trade in the red in the last couple of days with having been lost only -0.93% against the dollar in the last two weeks.
Ripple and BitPanda
That is how Ripple has just started to trade in BitPanda where this currency got listed. The website now makes up for another market that promotes XRP, allowing their users to directly trade with Ripple on their exchange platform. That way, Ripple has got more than another listing as BitPanda made it more available for investors, widening the circle of XRP holders and investors.
Ripple and Uphold
It seems that Ripple is collecting another victory with another listing. This time, XRP is getting listed on Uphold.
Ripple Can Now be Purchased in India
Thanks to BitBns, Ripple can now be directly purchased on this exchange where it has become available after the flash sale this Indian-based exchange market.
Binance Adds Ripple/Tether Pair
To make the road towards global acceptance and mass adoption even more appealing to the XRP targeted audience a lot easier for XRP, the team behind Ripple (XRP) has took another step forward when Binance added XRP/USTD pair on their exchange.
Why Ripple is Raging Through the Headlines Right Now (Nasdaq), Rated: A
From CoinWatch data platform, we can see that Ripple has attracted a substantial amount of media hype over the last week, with a very bullish 31 positive articles versus 1 negative story. Similarly, over the past week Ripple soared to $0.85, up from $0.79, which translates to a 6.67% jump in value. Ripple is still fluctuating but is on an uptrend and hovering around the resistance level of $0.90.
Ripple Partners With Financial Heavyweights
Hot on the heels of recent alliances with SAMA (TSXV:SME), Western Union (WU), and MoneyGram (MGI), Ripple has now added new alliances with FairFX (UK); RationalFX (UK), Exchange4Free (UK), UniPay (Georgia) and Money Match (Malaysia).
Bitcoin, Ripple & Ethereum Charts at a Glance (Nasdaq), Rated: AAA
The grind higher in Bitcoin was recently capped by confluence between the underside of the March 2017 trend-line and 200-day MA. The advance has been somewhat tepid in terms of momentum, but that doesn’t mean it can’t continue. However, at this time with the bottom-side of the longer-term trend-line remaining in the way, risk of a pullback, at the least, is elevated.
Keeping XRP supported, is the 200-day MA running up under a pair of small daily swing lows (4/26, 5/1). Today, the MA is being tested again. A break below and 7600 will likely have Ripple rolling downhill, while a hold and eventual break above 9649 could garner more interest to the 10900/2200-area.
ETH/USD Daily Chart
New Crypto Exchanges Don’t Want (to Hold) Your Money (Bloomberg), Rated: AAA
6. How are exchanges responding?
By fundamentally changing. A new generation is emerging, one that hues more closely to blockchain’s original libertarian ideals and that also threatens to overhaul crypto markets. Known as decentralized cryptocurrency exchanges, these new venues don’t hold client assets and do little more than put buyers and sellers together, leaving the actual transaction to the investors. The system is essentially a peer-to-peer platform and will be more transparent in operations and fees than the current exchange model, according to one of its proponents, Kelvin Wong, head of communications at OAX Foundation, a Hong Kong-based decentralized exchange developer.
10 must follow influencers in Cryptocurrency and Blockchain (TechJuice), Rated: A
Antonopoulos is an open blockchain and Bitcoin expert. He is also a best-selling author for his work that explores the impact of cryptocurrency on human civilization.
Co-Founder of Ethereum.
Winklevoss is the co-founder of the world’s first licensed Ether exchange, Gemini Exchange.
Srinivasan is the Chief Technology Officer of Coinbase.
Calling himself the Venture Hacker, Ravikant is a serial investor and the CEO & Founder of AngelList.
6. Marie Wieck
Wieck is the General Manager of IBM Blockchain.
Armstrong is the Chief Executive Officer and Co-Founder of CoinBase.
8. Tim Draper
Tim Draper is the founder of DFJ Venture Capital, Draper Associates and Draper University.
Pomp is a crypto capitalist and the Managing Partner of Full Tilt Capital.
10. John McAfee
The cybersecurity influencer, John McAfee ventured into cryptocurrency in 2016.
Tron (TRX) to be listed on Coinbase as part of its Main Net launch? (BitGekko), Rated: A
According to an article by The ICO Journal, Tron is in talks to be added to the institutional exchanges, Coinbase/GDAX and Circle.
Best Alternative Cryptocurrency Exchanges To Coinbase (Bitcoin Exchange Guide), Rated: A
Coinbase is not always the best option for global traders looking to maximize their profits and participate in the growing economic powerhouse of cryptocurrency exchange.
Coinbase only allows transactions for citizens in 32 countries.
Boasting over 1,000,000 users, CEX presents itself as a professional, compliant, established alternative to Coinbase.
Gemini has not yet risen to the popularity of CEX or Coinbase, but it still manages to offer its own unique benefits. Traders in South Korea and Hong Kong especially stand to benefit from switching to this exchange, as those countries are offered on Gemini but are not offered by exclusive Coinbase. Furthermore, U.S. citizens living in states excluded by CEX should check out Gemini; their service functions legally in 48 U.S. states, plus Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico.
Local Bitcoins Exchange
Some traders are in the market for a unique and niche trade experience, and Local Bitcoins surely satisfies this need. Unlike the global, cross-country trade mechanisms employed in the other major exchanges, the crux of the Local Bitcoins model is its interest in linking interactions based on geography.
This cryptocurrency company made $ 32,000 in 30 days — now it’s moving to Canada to avoid regulation (Business Insider), Rated: A
That idea became CBlocks, a mystery box of cryptocurrencies, sent on demand. The concept was simple: Interested parties pay the team however much they want to invest, plus a $50 service fee. Then, Cblocks purchases five random currencies on the customer’s behalf, and loads them onto an encrypted USB stick that acts as a wallet.
With just a website and some press coverage, the team made $55,000 selling these USB wallets, $32,000 of that in a 30 day period.
High fees, and a lack of clarity around cryptocurrency regulations, left CBlocks in a legal gray area. Even its lawyers couldn’t decide where CBlocks falls in terms of regulations. So Bunsen and his team decided to move the company to Canada.
What Crypto Start-ups Can Learn from the Dotcom Boom and Bust (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
The so-called dotcom era that lasted from 1997 to 2001 was an epic period for tech industry hype. It was a veritable Wild West for tech-oriented businesses, where it sometimes seemed like investor money all but grew on trees for the many start-up firms that popped up almost daily. Investors poured money into projects that had only a vague business plan, just as long as those plans mentioned the mysterious internet. Few investors really understood the internet back then, yet that mystery made those investments even more alluring.
When the bubble burst, some companies like Pets.com, Go.com, and Webvan just evaporated as if they’d never existed. Other companies like Cisco and Qualcomm took crippling hits to their market capital but managed to cling to life. But there is a third category – businesses like Amazon, eBay, Google and Microsoft – that took a hit in the crash but sprang back to become the corporate titans of today.
Publishing 2.0: A New Beginning with Blockchain Technology (BTCManager), Rated: A
Po.et is a shared ledger that will record metadata of the authors of any original digital content.
Mediachain.io is a peer to peer platform for sharing information across applications and organizations using blockchain technology.
Amino Pay aims to tackle the problem of declining revenue in digital advertising by using blockchain technology to verify of ad views and clear payments between agencies, creators, and publishers.
Another project is the Kreds Blockchain, which monetizes digital participation and one of the use cases involves a political news aggregator, and in May 2018, the project plans to launch a blockchain-based news aggregator to onboard new users with micropayment and earning models.
Bermuda signs MoU with Overstock’s blockchain subsidiary Medici Ventures (EconoTimes), Rated: A
Furthering its blockchain initiatives, the government of Bermuda has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Medici Ventures, the blockchain-focused subsidiary of online retail giant Overstock.
Bytecoin Surges 30% On Binance Listing (Ethereum World News), Rated: A
Just a couple of hours ago the world’s second largest exchange by trade volume announced that it was listing the relatively obscure privacy coin Bytecoin.
The announcement had immediate effect with prices pumping over 30% in less than an hour. Analysis website coinmarketcap.com reported that BCN surged from $0.007 to $0.009. In terms of Bitcoin it increased a similar percentage from 74 satoshis to 97 in about an hour.
Animoca joint venture with Red Robot to develop cryptowallet app (IT Wire), Rated: B
Australian-listed blockchain focused game developer and publisher, Animoca Brands, has announced a joint venture to develop a cryptowallet application aimed at “educated everyday users” with little knowledge of digital currencies.
According to Animoca (ASX:AB1), the app, which is being developed in conjunction with Red Robot KK, a Japanese boutique software development and advisory firm, will be a multinational, mobile-based wallet.
BMW Test Drives Blockchain for Car Mileage Tracking (CoinDesk), Rated: B
Global auto giant BMW is piloting a blockchain platform to track mileage in leased vehicles through its startup innovation program.
The effort is being carried out in partnership with blockchain startup DOVU – one of five startups to work with BMW Group UK as part of the company’s Innovation Lab, first unveiled back in February. Specifically, DOVU developed a system with Alphabet, BMW’s fleet manager, to incentivize drivers to log mileage in leased or borrowed vehicles.
Elastos (ELA): The First Decentralized Internet for Smart Economy (Crypto Globalist), Rated: B
Elastos (ELA) is a new entrant to the cryptocurrency market seeking to offer practical decentralized internet. It is an internet OS that uses the blockchain concept. The system uses the usual internet as a simple basic layer that separates communication from computer applications to protect users from malware, bots and cyber-attacks.
After Months Ethereum Records 1 Million Transactions per Day (BTC Manager), Rated: AAA
The number of transactions with the world’s second largest cryptocurrency Ethereum has once again crossed the one million per day threshold.
All eyes on the coming Callisto (CLO) Airdrop on Ethereum Classic ETC (CryptoRecorder), Rated: A
After the hard fork of Ethereum (ETH) from Ethereum Classic (ETC) due to the loss of millions of funds by a hacker, Ethereum (ETH) network has since solved most of the issues that raised form the hacking while Ethereum Classic (ETC) seems to still be struggling. Although Ethereum Classic (ETC) users are those users who felt that Ethereum (ETH) developers were not justified breaking off from the original Ethereum blockchain, they now feel that Ethereum Classic (ETC) can do better.
The main focus of the Callisto (CLO) Airdrop is to improve the usage of the Smart contracts on the Ethereum Classic network.
Crypto Brokers Push for Transparency Before Rules Get Made (Bloomberg), Rated: AAA
Some of Europe’s largest digital-coin brokers, who would be saddled with the new rules, are actually asking for them in a bid to clear the air and shake off perceptions they help criminals transfer money. Firms such as eToro Europe Ltd. in London and Bitpanda GmbH in Vienna say clear, “know your customer” rules would let trading platforms go mainstream more easily, gain clients and eventually tap institutional business.
In the U.S., San Francisco-based Coinbase has garnered 20 million users while rigorously documenting its clients. In Asia, Japan’s supportive rules have made it perhaps the global center for digital coins. In Europe, the business is relatively smaller.
The European Commission and regional supervisors are currently studying whether current European Union rules can be applied to crypto trading. The market, whose value rose to more than $800 billion in January, has shrunk to about $430 billion, according to data on more than 1,600 digital coins and tokens tracked by Coinmarketcap.com.
European Bitcoin brokers call for regulation (My Broadband), Rated: A
Some of Europe’s largest digital-coin brokers, who would be saddled with the new rules, are actually asking for them in a bid to clear the air and shake off perceptions they help criminals transfer money. Firms such as eToro Europe Ltd. in London and Bitpanda GmbH in Vienna say clear, “know your customer” rules would let trading platforms go mainstream more easily, gain clients and eventually tap institutional business.
The European Commission and regional supervisors are currently studying whether current European Union rules can be applied to crypto trading.
IOTA founder David Sønstebø says Trinity Wallet will be released before “Q” (Crypto Coin Spy), Rated: A
A select group of IOTA users have been testing the Trinity wallet, and early reviews are glowing. Sønstebø has said that though he was “open to changing my opinion” he challenged “every project out there to show me a better, more user friendly and secure wallet”. Its full release is expected in June.
Iceland’s Missing Bitcoin Miners May Be In China (CoinDesk), Rated: A
According to RUV, Icelandic police have sent Chinese authorities an inquiry after the latter country confiscated 600 mining computers. Police in the Tianjin area reportedly seized the machines after detecting unusually high electricity consumption, per Xinhua News.
IRELANDS FIRST ICO ZETO SMART MONITORING FIRM TO RAISE €20 MILLION IN FUNDING ROUND (Irish Tech News), Rated: B
Smart refrigeration company, Zeto, will be among Ireland’s first companies to successfully raise multi-million euro investment through an initial coin offering (ICO).
Within a number of days, Zeto has already raised €500,000 from the crytocurrency community with investors in Brazil, Austraila, Oman, Spain among others availing of pre-sale discount. Zeto expects to raise €20 million in total by the end of the ICO process in July 2018.
Potential Conflict of Interest? UK Parliament Blockchain [and Ripple] Critic Worked For R3 (CCN), Rated: A
There were four guest panelists, with Director Martin Walker of the Centre for Evidence Based Management taking a hostile stance against blockchain as a financial instrument and against the work of fellow panelist and Ripple representative Ryan Zagone in particular.
Though he had the most to say out of all four panelists, with regulators even asking him to be briefamidst collective laughter at one point, Walker neglected to mention in the 53 minute session that throughout 2016 he worked as Product Developer for R3, arguably creating a conflict of interest.
Ontology hosts first community meetup, London (NEO News Today), Rated: B
Ontology will hold its first community meetup on Thursday, May 17th in London, England.
The event is free to attend and will be held at Tech City College from 6:30pm to 9:00pm.
UPayCard Reduces Crypto-Wallet Fees (Latest Casino Bonuses), Rated: B
Continuing this trend of crypto alleviation, UPayCard, has just announced that this May comes with the latest decrease in Crypto-Wallter fees that will let users “enjoy our services and not focus on counting your costs.”
Trading cryptocurrencies through UPayCard now comes with these fees: the fee for cryptocurrencies has been annulled! That’s right, the fee used to be 2% and now it’s virtually zero percent! The sending fee is now 0.2% (it used to be 1%) and the sending express fee is 0.5% (used to be 2%).
Binance CEO Calls ICOs Necessary And ‘100 Times Easier Than Traditional Venture Capital’ (CoinTelegraph), Rated: AAA
Changpeng Zhao, the CEO of digital currency trading platform Binance, said in a blog post May 7 that initial coin offerings (ICO) perform far better than venture capital funds (VCs), even with a high risk of failure.
“Through my own experience, and watching hundreds of other projects at a close distance, I would say raising money through ICOs is about 100 times easier than through traditional VCs, if not more. With the ease of raising money increased, logic says there may be 100 times more startups, well-funded startups, where ICOs are allowed.”
Meet Changpeng Zhao, Founder and CEO of Binance, the World’s Largest Crypto Exchange (Crypto Globe), Rated: A
Why Did You Wait Until 2017 to Start a Crypto Exchange
“When I first got exposed to cryptocurrencies in 2013, I actually wanted to do a crypto exchange, but everything was quite new then…
I left OKCoin in 2015. I wanted to do a crypto exchange at that time. Poloniex was already there… So, I looked at it. The market was still quite small. We decided the market wasn’t big enough.
What Technological Innovations Does Binance Bring to the Table?
“We have a very fast matching engine, which is written in C/C++. And that can process up to 1.4 million transactions per second. Everything else is written in Java… We did a lot of work on the UI side. So, I think everybody can see our UI is comparable to a PC client… We did a lot of optimizations there… That is quite hard to do in a web browser.”
What Is the Selection Critera for ICOs?
“For ICOs, we actually prefer the ICO to have a prototype that we can play with… It doesn’t have to be public… And we want to see a very strong team. And we want to see a dedicated team. We don’t want to see teams that do multiple coins… And having a strong advisory team really helps.”
What Part of the Crypto Space Do You Think Will Be Most Influential?
“So, I think right now people are focused on exchanges. There are actually a couple of other exchanges who are already very influential and they are tackling a problem that we have avoided so far, which is the fiat-to-crypto conversion. So, Coinbase is doing that very well. Bitfinex is taking a slightly different approach, a more international approach.
And the wallet market is a bit segmented right now. We don’t see one single wallet that is a super leader. So, hopefully, somebody will emerge there…”
Binance (BNB) Token Review: The Most Widely-Used Exchange Token (Chainbits), Rated: AAA
The BNB coin is the ERC20 token for the Binance cryptocurrency exchange, one of the most popular cryptocurrency exchanges and one of the first exchanges featuring its own currency.
The Binance exchange has a number of partnerships, including:
- QUONIE –The exchange entered into a strategic partnership with QUOINE, a leading global fintech firm and the first registered fiat-enabled exchange in Japan, at the end of 2017. The partnership offers QUOINE improved liquidity and a larger selection of altcoins.
- Uplive – In addition, Binance entered into a partnership with Asia’s leading live video platform, Uplive, and offers its 20 million users the option to use BNB for virtual gifting.
- Changelly – As competing with Binance is difficult, Changelly announced a partnership with Binance in April. The partnership will integrate Binance’s API and allow Changelly’s users to exchange a range of coins on the website faster and at better rates.
The Binance exchange gives those who trade with the token the incentive of a 50% lower transaction fee for the first year. For the second year, the discount is 25%, halving every year for two more years until the discount is cancelled in the 5th year.
NEO Price Has Correlation with Ethereum Price, eToro Analysis Shows (Finance Magnates), Rated: AAA
The analysis says that “NEO is experiencing a surge in the number of dApps developed for the platform that could bring the possibilities of the network closer to or even surpass Ethereum.”
According to the analysis, NEO is attracting more and more decentralised applications. It lists some of them – Bluzelle, which rents computer storage space, Zilliqa, which is a blockchain which uses sharding to be fast, and Switcheo, a decentralised exchange which according to coinmarketcap.com handles daily volumes of $1.2 million.
However, the analysis states that only 32 smart contracts have been deployed on the NEO platform, most of which are inactive.
With $ 14.6 Million Already Raised, Nauticus Launches Beta of Advanced Cryptocurrency Exchange (Digital Journal), Rated: AAA
Nauticus Exchange will make buying Bitcoin – or any one of 100 other altcoins – as easy as ordering a pizza.
Newcomers also pay a high exchange rate. On April 25 a Bitcoin cost USD$43 more on CoinBase than on Binance while CoinSpot’s price was AUD$46 higher than on Aussie exchange BTC Markets.
The advanced interface, aimed at sophisticated traders has just been released for beta testing, but it’s Nauticus Exchange’s simplified user interface that’s been generating all the interest.
The exchange will offer 100 crypto and seven fiat currencies (CNY, USD, EUR, JPY, HKD, AUD and ZAR). That will make it a one-stop shop for everyone’s crypto and fiat needs.
HUOBI LABS: AN UPCOMING $ 1 BILLION BLOCKCHAIN INCUBATOR (Bitcoinist), Rated: AAA
Huobi, the premier Asian-based exchange, has just announced plans for a blockchain industry fund, research institute, and an incubator.
Cryptocurrency Exchanges Fleeing Asia Over Tough Regulations (Financial Tribune), Rated: A
Asia is becoming a less attractive market for large cryptocurrency exchange operators due to regulatory uncertainties. At least three major exchanges have announced or voiced the idea of fleeing the region.
Physical Bitcoin Banknotes Launched in Singapore (Blokt), Rated: A
The value of the Tangem note is expressed in Bitcoin, with denominations of 0.01BTC (~$93) and 0.05BTC (~$465) to begin with in its pilot launch. Based in Singapore and Switzerland, Tangem views physical crypto transactions as key to bringing cryptocurrency into the mainstream and sees it as having distinct advantages over digital crypto transactions.
Japanese regulators have announced stricter regulations for cryptocurrency exchanges in an effort to prevent another heist like the one that befell Coincheck in January, according to Nikkei Asian Review.
QUOINE launches groundbreaking ICO platform on QRYPTOS (PR Newswire), Rated: B
Global fintech company QUOINE today unveiled its Initial Coin Offering (ICO) platform, an all-in-one ICO execution service that provides a safe haven for both token participants and token issuers alike. QUOINE‘s ICO Mission Control will initially be integrated within the QRYPTOS exchange, before becoming part of the forthcoming LIQUID platform.
Japanese Investment Matchmaking Platform To Make Humans ‘Financially Autonomous’ (CoinTelegraph), Rated: B
As of autumn 2017, assets under management by the hedge fund industry were estimated at $2.5 tln. A Japanese venture is set to reshape this booming marketplace through Blockchain technology, and aims to challenge the handful of dominant players in the sector by seizing a 1 percent share of the sector.
SPINDLE, which plans to connect cryptocurrency hedge funds and users easily and on an equitable level, successfully completed a private sale earlier this year, centered predominantly in Japan. The investment matchmaking platform now hopes to go global.
Huobi Extents into Canada (The Oofy), Rated: AAA
Cryptocurrency exchange giant Huobi is planning to extent its services to Canada. Huobi will open a new office in Toronto which will create a new foothold in the North American market.
Dancing Badgers Draw More Attention Than SEC at Ethereum Meeting (Bloomberg), Rated: A
In the crypto world, all eyes are on a meeting today where U.S. regulators may discuss whether Ethereum is a security, but developers at the center of the network showed few signs of caring at a three-day gathering that ended this weekend, where scaling and security were the main focus.
Ethereum co-founder Joseph Lubin was maybe the only speaker to focus on the question at the Community Ethereum Development Conference in Toronto, which featured stuffed animal unicorns, coders dancing to a video of bouncing badgers and mushrooms, and t-shirt clad attendees, largely in their 20s. Many of Ethereum’s co-founders attended, as well as hundreds of developers for the decentralized applications being built on top of the network.
DMG Blockchain Solutions Launches ‘BitScore’ AML Risk API for Crypto Exchanges, Payment Platforms (Globe Newswire), Rated: A
DMG Blockchain Solutions Inc. (TSX-V:DMGI) (“DMG” or the “Company”), a diversified blockchain and cryptocurrency company, announced today the official launch of its ‘BitScore’ cryptocurrency deposit and withdrawal risk-scoring web API for Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and anti-fraud compliance.
Why Saudi Arabia Keeps Partnering With Blockchain Startups (Fortune), Rated: A
The Saudi Ministry of Communications and Information Technology recently partnered with ConsenSys, a Brooklyn-based production studio focused on building enterprise software products powered by Ethereum.
The kingdom’s defacto central bank teamed up with Ripple to pilot instant cross-border payments between banks in the region using the blockchain.
Kenya is Using Blockchain and Cryptocurrency to Settle Real Estate Sales (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
In many countries around the world proving ownership of land through title is a complicated business that lends itself to corruption but in Kenya, a team has been assembled to use blockchain technology to put an end to land grabbing.